The evil eye is a curse or hex that is believed to be cast by a malevolent glare. It is thought to cause harm, bad luck or illness. The evil eye is a popular belief across many cultures around the world. The evil eye is thought to result from excessive admiration or envy, whether conscious or unconscious. This negative energy manifests into a curse that can cause misfortune or injury.
Removing the evil eye with salt is a popular folk remedy to rid yourself or your home of the effects of the curse. Salt is believed to have protective and purifying properties that can reverse the evil eye. There are various rituals using salt that are said to remove any evil eyes and cleanse the space.
What is the Evil Eye?
The evil eye dates back to ancient times and the principle belief is that a malicious look can cast a spell on the recipient. The evil eye curse can cause bad luck, sickness, or loss.
- The evil eye is thought to stem from unfulfilled greed or envy that manifests as a curse.
- The effects are said to be anything from minor misfortunes, illnesses, or even terrible calamities.
- It is thought that the strength of the evil eye depends on how powerfully it is cast and the receptiveness or vulnerability of the receiver.
Evil eye is a popular superstition in Mediterranean and West Asian cultures. The term used varies, including:
- Mal de Ojo (Spanish, Portuguese)
- Ayin Harsha (Hebrew)
- Nazar (Urdu, Persian)
- Buda (Punic)
Belief in the evil eye remains strong in many parts of the world including Southern Europe, Africa, Central America, South Asia, and the Middle East.
How to Tell if You’re Affected by the Evil Eye
Wondering if you’ve been cursed by the evil eye? Here are some common signs to look out for:
- Sudden loss of energy or vitality
- Headaches and dizziness
- Gastrointestinal upset, digestive issues
- Dry coughs
- Skin rashes or allergies
- Bad luck streak, loss of fortune
- Problems concentrating
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling of being watched or observable
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms for unexplained reasons, it may be the result of being cursed through the evil eye hex.
Using Salt to Remove the Evil Eye
Salt is commonly used around the world to remove, reflect, or protect from the evil eye curse. Salt has a long history of use for purification, protection and breaking curses and hexes because of these properties:
- Absorbs negative energy – The crystalline structure of salt is thought to soak up and contain negative energy.
- Purification – Salt is an ancient cleansing and purifying agent, used to cleanse energy and drive away any lingering spells.
- Protection – Salt is believed to repel and protect from negative energy and evil intentions.
There are many rituals and practices focused on the use of salt to combat the effects of the evil eye curse.
Taking a ritual cleansing bath with salt is one of the most common and direct ways to remove the evil eye. Simply add 1-2 cups of sea salt or Epsom salt to warm bathwater. You can also add cleansing herbs like rosemary, sage, or hyssop. Soak in the salt bath, visualizing the salt and water washing away any curse or hex and renewing your spirit. Make sure to rinse off thoroughly after the bath.
- 2 cups Himalayan pink salt or Epsom salt
- Optional: 5-6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Draw a warm bath and allow the tub to fill. Once full, add the salt and rosemary sprigs.
- Stir the bath water until the salt fully dissolves.
- Soak in the bath for 15-20 minutes. Relax and visualize the bath washing away any curses or negativity.
- Drain the tub and rinse off thoroughly after the bath. Discard the rosemary sprigs.
Sprinkling salt in specific areas is said to drive away evil energy. You can sprinkle a pinch of salt in the four corners of a room. Or sprinkle a circle of salt around yourself or your home to protect from the evil eye curse. Get rid of the salt the next day by vacuuming or sweeping it away.
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 2 cups water
- Spray bottle
- Add sea salt to spray bottle. Pour in the water.
- Shake vigorously for 2-3 minutes until salt fully dissolves in the water.
- Mist the salt water in corners, doorways, windowsills and over yourself.
- Reapply weekly or as needed for purification.
A Himalayan salt lamp purifies the air and gives off positive ions. Many believe it helps combat the effects of the evil eye. Place salt lamps in rooms where you spend a lot of time or by your bed at night. The soft glow of a salt lamp can also be soothing and protective.
- Himalayan salt lamp
- Small dish or plate
- Purchase a Himalayan salt lamp of your preferred size.
- Place the salt lamp on a dish or plate. Choose a location to position it – by your bed, work desk, or seating areas.
- Plug in and turn on the salt lamp. Keep it lit for several hours daily.
- Allow the soft pink glow to purify the space.
- Dust and clean the lamp periodically.
You can sprinkle salt water in your home or over your body to remove curses. Add a few tablespoons of sea salt to some water in a spray bottle. Shake well until dissolved. Mist salt water in corners of rooms, doorways, or windows where negative energy may enter. You can also wipe yourself down with a cloth soaked in the salt water as a cleansing ritual.
- 1 cup coarse kosher or sea salt
- Small bowl or pour spout for sprinkling
- Take the salt outdoors and begin sprinkling a line around the full perimeter of your home.
- Make sure the line is continuous, with no gaps in between.
- Also sprinkle salt in the doorway, porch steps, and at any entrances.
- Leave the salt boundary overnight.
- In the morning, sweep away the salt – don’t wash away.
- Repeat weekly or as needed.
Wearing or carrying charms containing salt can protect you from evil eye curses. Some examples include:
- Small pouches of salt carried in pockets or purses
- Amulets filled with salt hung near the entrance of a home
- Bracelets or jewelry with embedded salt crystals
- 1 cup coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon each – rosemary, sage, thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Muslin pouch or cheesecloth
- Place the salt and all dried herbs in a bowl. Add the garlic cloves.
- Place the mix in the center of a muslin pouch or cheesecloth.
- Tie closed tightly with a ribbon or string.
- Hang in your car, tuck under pillow or carry in pocket/purse.
- Replenish the herbs every 2-3 weeks.
Renew and recharge salt charms regularly for optimal protection.
Special Precautions When Using Salt Against the Evil Eye
While simple salt rituals can be very effective, here are some precautions and recommendations when using salt to remove curses:
- Use coarse sea salt or rock salt which has more cleansing power. Avoid processed table salt.
- Replace and replenish salt regularly, as it will absorb negative energy.
- Combine with other purifying elements like water, herbs, crystals, etc. This enhances the cleansing effects of salt.
- Visualize protection and make your intention clear. This focuses the power of the salt.
- Clean up and properly dispose of used salt. Never leave it lying around.
- Avoid direct contact between salt and any abrasions or cuts which can cause irritation.
- Remember that salt should be one part of a range of spiritual protection practices.
Signs that the Salt Treatment is Working
When performing salt cleansing rituals, you may notice certain signs indicating the salt is working to remove the evil eye:
- Feeling energized and renewed after a salt bath
- A lightness or brightness in the atmosphere after sprinkling salt in a room
- A general sense of relief and being unburdened
- Sound sleep and decrease in nightmares
- Negative moods and feelings subsiding
- Headaches, nausea, dizziness fading
- Flow of good luck and fortune returning
- Feeling grounded and protected, like your own self again
When to Seek Additional Help
While simple salt rituals can combat mild evil eye curses, it’s important to recognize when to seek additional help:
- If symptoms are severe or persist over time
- If you lack the resources or knowledge for proper purification
- If the curser is someone very malicious or practiced in the evil eye
- If you feel you are being cursed repeatedly or cannot identify the source
- If other aspects of your life also seem afflicted
- If you are feeling spiritually vulnerable or drained in general
In these cases, you may need to see a spiritual healer, medium, shaman, or priest for a more thorough cleansing ritual. Look for someone experienced in removing curses and well-versed in purification practices.
With their help, you can identify the full extent of the curse and enact a customized treatment plan. They may use salt cleansing along with chanting, energy healing, candle burning, or other time-tested methods to rid you of the evil eye curse once and for all.
The evil eye is a widely believed curse that can be cast simply from envious thoughts or admiring someone excessively. Feeling suddenly drained, experiencing illness or misfortune? You may be suffering the effects of this malicious glare.
Luckily, common household salt provides an easy way to combat the evil eye through its absorption and purification properties. Simple rituals like salt baths, sprinkling salt in rooms, or carrying charms can remove the curse and renew your energy and fortune.
Remember to use sea salt or rock salt for maximum effectiveness. Combine with other cleansing elements like herbs and visualize protection. Be aware of signs it’s working like renewed vitality. But seek spiritual help for severe or persistent cases. With the right knowledge and precautions, salt can be a powerful cure against the notorious evil eye hex.
- Removing a Curse | Free Cleansing Spells you can try at home
- How to remove a family curse | Free Yourself Forever